Back to Historic Fort Morgan Page -- Home

Click Here for the printer-friendly PDF format

1. Glacis: Cleared ground that slopes upward toward the fort. It screened the fort walls from enemy gunfire. The seven flags on the Glacis are the flags that have flown over Mobile Point. They are: France, Britain, Spain, United States, the Alabama Militia (Montgomery Rifles), the Confederacy, and the State of Alabama.

2. Postern: The connecting tunnel through the Glacis. The tunnel originally had a sand floor. The concrete was added during the 20th century.

3. Ditch: Also known as the Dry Moat, the Ditch surrounds the fort. It was intended to prevent an enemy from easily reaching the walls of the fort. The Ditch could be swept with deadly crossfire from guns mounted in the fort's Bastions. The brick-lined drain in the center of the ditch carries rainwater out of the Moat.

4. Sallyport: The main entrance of the fort. The date "1833" is the year the fort was named, not the year it was completed. Named for General Daniel Morgan, a Revolutionary War hero, the fort was completed in 1834 and first occupied in March of that year. 

5. Casemates: These arched rooms were designed as protected gun positions for the fort's cannon, but few cannon were ever mounted in them. The casemates were used for the storage of food and equipment and were occasionally used as living quarters for troops, providing shelter from enemy bombardment.

6. Powder Magazine: Large amounts of black powder were needed to fire the fort's cannons. The powder was stored in small, well-protected rooms known as Magazines. The fort was designed with two Magazines, and a third was added in the 1870's. At the time of the siege of the fort in 1864 more than 60,000 pounds of powder was stored in the Magazines. The small openings in the walls provided ventilation for the rooms.

7. Cistern: There are four in-ground brick cisterns in the fort. They were used to store rainwater for the use of the men in the Garrison.

8. Citadel Foundation: All that remains of the ten-sided barracks are the remnants of its foundations. The Citadel was torn down after being badly damaged during the 1864 siege.

9. Battery Duportail: This concrete gun emplacement was built across the fort in 1898-99. It mounted two 12-inch, breech-loading cannon known as disappearing rifles. Lead counterweights weighing 30 tons were dropped to raise the gun into firing position above the concrete wall. When the gun was fired, the recoil would return the gun to the loading position. The gun used 268 pounds of explosive to throw a 1046-pound shell up to 8 1/2 miles.

10. Panama Mount: The original brick of this bastion was leveled when Battery Duportail was built. The circular concrete gun mount was constructed during World War II to facilitate the turning of a 155-millimeter gun so that a wider area could be fired on by the gun. Five of the 155-millimeter guns were brought to the fort during the World War II.

11. Bastion: The projecting corners of the fort are bastions. Cannons were mounted on top of each bastion to fire over the wall, "en barbette." The barbette guns on these Bastions and along the walls were to bring an overwhelming concentration of fire on any enemy ships that attempted to enter Mobile Bay.

12. Flank Casement: The two 24-pounder Flank Howitzers mounted in each of the fort's ten Flank Casemates could deliver a deadly crossfire on any attackers in the Ditch. The howitzers in this casemate were manufactured in 1847 and were part of the fort's ordnance during the Civil War. In the early 1900's the U.S. Army shipped the guns to Cincinnati, Ohio for use in a Civil War monument. They returned to the fort in November 2001 and remounted in this bastion in June 2004.

13. Lighthouse Battery: So named because the Mobile Point Lighthouse once stood in the center of the battery, directly in front of the "hotshot" furnace. This artillery position was constructed during 1843. Before the Civil War guns were often mounted in this battery and covered with small wooden sheds called "penthouses" to protect them from the weather. During the Battle of Mobile Bay, Confederate artillerymen were forced to abandon this position because of brick fragments flying from the lighthouse.

14. Hotshot Furnace: This hotshot furnace was constructed during 1843 & 1844. Solid iron cannon balls would be heated in the furnace until white-hot. This "hot shot" would be fired at wooden ships to set them afire. By the Civil War "hotshot" had largely been replaced by exploding shells and it was never used in battle at Fort Morgan.

15. Battery Thomas: This concrete gun position was built in 1898 over the site of part of the old brick fort. In times of war, electricity detonated mines were laid across the entrance to Mobile Bay. This battery, mounting two 4.7-inch British-made quick-fire guns, was designed to prevent the removal of the mines by minesweepers or other small ships.

16. Battery Schenck: The two matching gun positions were completed in 1900. The third, raised position was begun in 1903 and finished in 1904. The battery mounted 3-inch, rapid-fire guns that fired 15-pound projectiles. This battery was intended to prevent hostile ships from removing the defensive minefield at the entrance to the bay.

17. Torpedo Casemate: This position was built in the 1870s and modernized in the 1890s. During wartime, electrically detonated mines were placed across the entrance to the bay. The firing cables to the mines ran to this position, and the mines were detonated from here.

18. Engineers' Wharf: Because the fort was accessible primarily by water, all supplies and building materials were brought to the site by ships and unloaded at this wharf.

19. Tecumseh Buoy: Near this marker buoy lays the wreck of the U.S.S. Tecumseh. The Tecumseh was sunk by an exploding "torpedo" as it steamed to attack the Confederate ironclad C.S.S. Tennessee. The stricken monitor rolled over and sank in less than two minutes drowning over 90 of its crew. Among the dead was the ship's commanding officer, Commander Tunis Craven. Twenty-one sailors escaped including four who were taken prisoner when they swam to Fort Morgan.

Back to Historic Fort Morgan Page -- Home